FAQ for All Homeowners

I am not familiar with many homeowner association terms. Where can I find concise definitions of the most commonly used HOA terms?

We have provided a Glossary of HOA Terms and a Glossary of HOA Insurance Terms on this website for your convenience.


What is the Davis-Stirling Act?

The Davis-Stirling Act is the main body of law that governs common interest developments including condominiums, planned developments, stock cooperatives, and community apartment projects. It consists of California Civil Code Sections 4000-6,150 You can assess the official and most current law: Davis-Stirling Common Interest Development Act.


What do HOA management companies do for their clients?

It depends on the type of service requested. Coast Management of California offers four types of services which are summarized on this website.


How do CC&Rs and Bylaws differ?

CC&Rs are recorded documents that determine what homeowners may do or not do with their individual homes. CC&Rs also determine who pays for the maintenance and repairs of each component of the property. Some costs are paid directly by each homeowner while other costs are paid by the association. The association pays with funds generated by assessing each of the owners.

The Bylaw address the election of the board of directors and the holding of meetings. If the CC&Rs and Bylaws conflict, the CC&Rs have priority.


What do the board members do?

The elected board of directors has responsibility for running the homeowner association. The board hires all contractors and vendors, establishes a budget, determines the level of assessments subject to certain limitations, and spends funds to run the association and maintain the common areas.


What is the association?

The association is the group of all homeowners within a community usually organized as a non-profit mutual benefit corporation. Each owner is a member of the association.


What do I do if I have a maintenance issue?

The first thing you must do is determine whether it’s your responsibility or the association’s responsibility. The answer lies within the CC&Rs which every homeowner should read. If it’s the association’s responsibility, you should use the form on this website to request maintenance service. If it’s an emergency threatening health, life safety, or material damage to property, call the assigned Property Supervisor at Coast Management of California and also send an email maintenance request.


What do I do if I want to change the exterior of my home?

You must submit an Architectural Change Application to the board of directors through the management company for approval. The process is set forth in the CC&Rs of your homeowner association. The application form is on this website.


Does the Board of Directors have meetings that I can attend?

Yes. Every board is required to meet at least four times each year and many meet monthly. Every member can attend board meetings except that the board can retire to executive session for limited reasons. We strongly suggest that all members of associations attend every meeting of the board of directors.


Can I become a Board member?

Yes. There are two articles on this website that address Why You Should Run for Election to the Board of your HOA and How to get Elected your the Board of your HOA.


Do I need to buy a homeowner’s insurance policy or does the homeowner association’s insurance policy protect me?

You must buy a homeowner’s policy to provide yourself with adequate protection. You should also buy loss assessment coverage. There is an article on this site regarding the importance of loss assessment coverage.


Can I hold a yard or parking lot sale at my condominium building?

No. These types of activities are likely to obstruct the common areas used by other owners.


How do you suggest I handle a situation where my neighbor plays loud music late at night when I’m trying to sleep?

First, I would politely request that the neighbor turn the volume down because you must get to sleep. If that doesn’t work, contact the manager by email who will make contact with the neighbor. While you have the right to call the police to report a nuisance, this should be a last resort. The vast majority of residents in the buildings we manage are respectful of their neighbors.


Can I get a pet?

It depends on your CC&Rs. The CC&Rs of homeowner associations generally place limits on the ownership of pets. You need to review the CC&Rs of your association to obtain an answer.


If I am short of money, can I use my credit card to pay my HOA assessment?

You can use a Visa or Master Card to pay your assessments. Instructions are on this site. There will be a small service charge added to cover our cost.


What is an emergency?

An emergency is something that threatens the health, life, or safety of a person or threatens material damage to property. Water intrusion from leaking roofs or plumbing are two examples. Emergencies should be reported immediately by telephone as well as email using our website. We have an emergency service available for all residents.


Will you always notify me before sending a repair person to my home?

Absolutely. You will always receive at least a 24 hour notice except for emergencies such as a gas leak or water leak. The notice will be posted on your door and we will always send you an email and voice mail message. The repair person will always “knock” first and delay entry by at least 20 seconds. We respect your right to privacy.


What should I do if my sink, tub, or shower is clogged?

Call your property manager and send us a maintenance request using our website. We will address the matter as soon as possible. If the plumber determines that you are responsible, we will be required to pass the cost on to you.


What should I do if there is a leak in my roof?

Call your property manager immediately and send us a maintenance request using our website. We will address the matter as soon as possible. You may poke a small hole in the ceiling with a sharp object such as a nail while placing a bucket below to collect any water. This will minimize damage and shorten the time it takes to make any repair.


Do you pay referral fees if we refer a management client to you?

Yes. Coast Management of California will pay a referral fee for a referral that turns into management agreement.

We appreciate your business.


Coast Management of California